Monday, October 11, 2010
Demetrius Gibson
The speaker of the lecture was Dr. Segun Gbadegesin. He explained to us the concepts of Omoluabi, Iwa, and Ancient African Values. Omoluabi is the embodiment of discipline, character, and self-importance. A person who follows the values of Omoluabi earns the respect of their people and peers by using wisdom to help aid them. A person should also be a prime source, or iwa. Iwa is character and existence, for without it, one loses everything. Without your character, you are statistic and useless because you cannot act as an individual. Without your identity, you cannot know yourself and, thus, you cannot truly know others. The story taught me that I must embrace all that is a part of me and hold onto my beliefs. College is a place where many people get caught up in other people and lose sight of their own beliefs. I mostly enjoyed the part of the lecture about The Book of Instructions. The reason I liked it is because it seemed to me that it was a good set of guidelines to live by. I believe that if most people lived like this that the world could be a much better place. It would definitely help silence the violence and increase the peace
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment